New Year’s Resolutions: видеоуроки на английском
- Сообщение от: Елена Амерханова
- Категория: Разговорный английский Словарный запас
“The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals”.
А вы слышали про New Year’s Resolutions? Это новогодняя традиция давать себе обещания на следующий год, которая популярна за рубежом. Люди пишут списки тех дел или вещей, которые они бы хотели воплотить в следующем году. Зарекаются избавиться от вредных привычек, лишнего веса и т.д. Это не просто желания, а именно цели, которых хотят достичь.
В сегодняшней статье мы подготовили несколько видео уроков. Надеемся, они вам понравятся. Вы расширите свой словарный запас и потренируетесь понимать английскую речь на слух, а если вы еще и будете повторять за дикторами и пытаться имитировать их произношение и интонацию, то улучшите свои разговорные навыки.
Приятного вам просмотра!
Давайте начнем с оригинальной песни о New Year’s Resolutions. Послушайте её и ответьте на вопросы.
1. Does Randler want to wake up earlier?
2. What did he sing about cleaning?
3. Will he eat out?
4. Were all his promises reasonable?
5. What is he going to give for charity?
6. Why will Yoda be proud of him?
1. Yes. He promised he would stop sleeping in.
2. He will do everything he can to keep his room clean.
3. Maybe. But he promised to cook his own food.
4. No. Though he sang that he would be as reasonable as he could…
5. His instruments.
6. Because he will master levitation, defy gravity, and learn to use force properly.
- to sleep in – поспать подольше
- to be in a better mood – быть в лучшем настроении
- I’ll make my life a little less intolerable я сделаю свою жизнь менее невыносимой
- set the bar – устанавливать планку
- dress more fabulously – одеваться более потрясающе
- sneeze more silently – чихать тише
- charity – благотворительность
- master levitation – освоить левитацию
- defy gravity – бросить вызов гравитации
- That’s no biggie! (сокращение от “no big deal”) – не о чем беспокоиться
- force – сила
- make Yoda proud obviously- и разумеется заставить Йоду гордиться
“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re doing something
So that’s my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody’s ever made before. Don’t freeze, don’t stop, don’t worry that it isn’t good enough, or it isn’t perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.
Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, Do it.
Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
“New Year – new me” Идеи и рекомендации от Reese Regan:
A New Year___________ change. It signifies ___________ You won’t ___________a comp ___________ely ___________with the ___________ of a ___________. But you can ___________something ___________ to change ___________. You can ______________________and stronger and___________and fun and ___________and sexier and loving. ___________can make it ___________ It’s all ___________. So, make your goals___________and___________. Tell everyone you know so that they ___________you are ___________ Tell your mom, your ___________, your ___________, your dog, your best friends – tell ___________, because ___________they ‘re ___________ need some help with ___________goals too.
___________. get ___________. How are you _________ to make life style changes in such a ___________ room? Make your bed, ___________everything and ___________those clothes you know you ___________anymore. Ah! Much better.
You wanna ___________yourself of your___________– so make it ___________. I like ___________because they are so ___________. Just bring up pictures that___________you, find something to___________them on – I am using a piece of ___________here- and ___________ them or ___________ them or ___________them – it doesn’t ___________. It’s totally ___________. Then put it ___________ where you’ll be ___________ to see it all the time ___________ – on your ___________– a ___________place, because your walls aren’t ___________– not to ___________ that ___________super cute.
Get a ___________ — like a ___________ calendar and use different ___________ to meet different ___________of yours. Everytime you ___________ one of those ___________, mark it off with that___________in your calendar. ___________your calendar ___________ you will be able to ___________ how much ___________and how far ___________ You don’t want a ___________and ___________calendar do you? I don’t___________so.
___________need some ___________? Try this. Get a ___________. Any ___________. You can get them at any ___________ and cut it for any ___________for like ___________. Then pick up any ___________of your ___________… and then ___________paint your board. Find some cute ___________, cute ___________ and I ___________cute___________cards. ___________ the___________cards and the paper to the size that ___________your board and ___________them together and wear up…
Now… I’m ___________you’ve all ___________of memory___________but what I ___________ is a ______________________. This ___________you are ___________put ___________into the box from___________or ___________and open it up at the ___________of the___________to you all the collected. You can still put ___________ of paper with your ___________ on them but I think ___________ are more ___________.
So that’s it. You are the one that ___________ how your ___________ is gonna go. Noone else and ___________else can ___________ your life ___________you ___________ them – so, make this ___________a good one – and good ___________!
A New Year signifies change. It signifies improvement. You won’t make up a completely different person with the change of a calendar. But you can do something different to change your life. You can make your life faster and stronger and creative and fun and happier and sexier and loving. You can make it better. It’s all up to you. So, make your goals aloud and clear. Tell everyone you know so that they know you are serious. Tell your mom, your dad, your brother, your dog, your best friends – tell everyone, because no doubt they ‘re gonna need some help with their goals too.
First things first. get organised. How are you supposed to make life style changes in such a messy room? Make your bed, wipe down everything and get rid of those clothes you know you don’t wear anymore. Ah! Much better.
You wanna constantly remind yourself of your goals – so make it obvious. I like vision boards because they are so easy. Just bring up pictures that inspire you, find something to put them on – I am using a piece of cardboard here- and tape them or stick them or glue them – it doesn’t matter. It’s totally сustomizable. Then put it somewhere where you’ll be able to see it all the time every day – on your walls – a good place, because your walls aren’t gonna move – not to mention that looks super cute.
Get a calendar — like a real calendar and use different colours to meet different goals of yours. Everytime you complete one of those goals, mark it off with that colour in your calendar. Keeping your calendar colourful you will be able to show how much you’ve done and how far you’ve gone. You don’t want a sad and blank calendar do you? I don’t think so.
Still need some motivation? Try this. Get a slab of wood. Any slab of wood. You can get them at any hardwood store and cut it for any size for like 5 bucks. Then pick up any paint of your choice… and then obviously paint your board. Find some cute clips, cute paper and I guess cute index cards. Cut up the index cards and the paper to the size that fits your board and glue them together and wear up…
Now… I’m sure you’ve all heard of memory jar but what I suggest is a memory box. This way you are able to put actual objects into the box from trips or vacations and open it up at the end of the year to you all the collected. You can still put strips of paper with your memories on them but I think objects are more fun.
So that’s it. You are the one that determines how your life is gonna go. Noone else and nothing else can affect your life unless you let them – so, make this year a good one – and good luck!
“I would say happy new year but it’s not happy; it’s exactly the same as last year except colder. ”
― Robert Clark
“How to Keep your New Years Resolutions” – советыот Clark Danger
1. 90% of people give up their New Year’s resolutions by May.
2. Modern western culture rewards starting something, but it doesn’t have the same enthusiasm about finishing thigs.
3. More than 50% of marriages end in divorce because western culture doesn’t value institution of family nowadays.
4. First of all you need to think why you want this new years’ resolution.
5. The speaker started his channel because he wanted to inspire people and to motivate them.
6. An object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by another force.
7. Small changes are not as important as big ones and nobody will notice them.
8. He told to women that the hardest pound to lose is the first pound.
9. You will manage to do something only if you measure it.
1. Not given. It was only said that 80% of people that start New Year’s Resolutions are off by the second week of February.
2. True. We live in a culture that rewards starting something. But it doesn’t have the same enthusiasm about finishing things.
99% of students that go to pre-med- don’t go out pre-med.
3. Not Given. Though it was mentioned that over 50% of marriages now end in divorce, but there were no reasons for it mentioned by the speaker.
4. True. Motivational books will say: you need a “Why” that makes you cry.”
5. False. His first desire was to gain money, only after some time he realised that he needs to share worthy ideas.
7. False. As soon as you start taking steps towards something they move towards you. Small changes have a massive effect.Get addicted to getting that changes.
8. True. “The hardest pound to lose is the first pound”. Going from zero to one is the hardest part.
9. True. “What gets measured, gets managed”. Finding a way to measure your results not only helps you manage them but it gives you small wins. Feeling good about your progress, feeling good of what you have already done. Stop and reflect.
Jessica из Нью-Йорка о своих новогодних обещаниях:
1. Is Jessica grateful for all things: the good, the bads. Why?
2. What were her last New Year’s resolutions?
3. Did she stick to them?
4. Why did she want to stretch every morning?
5. From Jessica’s point of view, New Year’s resolutions are supposed to be happy, aren’t they?
6. Why does she want to send her family on a vacation?
7. Why does she want to start a journal?
8. Why does she call herself a Queen of Procrastination?
9. Does she want to learn Russian with a native speaker?
10. Why does she have a lot of sleep anxiety?
1. Yes. When something bad happens it makes you who you are. Without those bad things you wouldn’t have the real amazing things either.
2.Last year her New Year’s resolutions were to be get in really good shape and to stretch every morning when she woke up.
3. She did get into a really good shape. Though she ate sweets at least once a month. But she stretched only once or twice.
4.Because she saw a video with elderly women in their 90’s who all were still super active, full of life. Seeing those women so energised was really empowering. Almost all of them would stretch in the morning.
5. No, they are supposed to challenge you.
6. They have helped her through life so much and they still continue to help her. And she just wants to be able to give back to them by giving them an experience. Her family has not been on a vacation together for years since she was a little kid.
7. She wants to push herself to start a journal to be able to look back on memories .
8. If there’s smth that she thinks is going to be difficult for her she says:” Oh, let’s do it later”. Two weeks later she has to have it done by the next day. She is literarry ascared of doing something. She thinks that it is going to cause her more stress that it actually will.
9. We do not know. She only mentioned that she wants to be able to at least speak a little bit with someone who is native to another place.
10. Because there were a lot of thing going on in her life: a new apartment, a noisy neighbour. She procrastinates going to bed. She goes to bed at 12 o’clock, 1 am and then she has to wake up at 6 am.
Советы американского психолога
Instead of making _________ New Year’s resolutions this ________. Start making _________ that ________you at each stage of your __________….” Setting age appropriate goals will help you ____________ them and make your __________your best year yet.
In your _______’s – take a break from your _______ and engage in more __________time.
These __________ were born with __________ and it helps us if think about our own __________ and resolve them and it also helps us to be able to __________ other people’s feelings.
__________ in 10 __________ say they don’t do anything to __________ ______. Make a promise to find three healthy stress __________ activities. __________on how your __________ feels when in _______ and then find helping mechanism. For example, go for __________, do __________ breathing, read a book, __________, drum – anything that is __________.
In your 40’s vulture improve your __________ skills and do a __________ check up. Let me tell you __________ that you do that makes __________ ____. You tell me how ___ is that better and really _______ on understanding.
__________shows people who live in __________ spaces are more apron to __________ and __________. Start a new year __________ or organise you __________.
Take one drawer – __________ you haven’t __________ whatever doesn’t bring you __________ – throw it away and use that as a __________ for the rest of the year.
Doctor Taylor says your 50’s are all about fear lesseners. Decide to say “__________” to __________ thing __________for a month. Maybe more time __________ , more __________for yourself, more time for sleep. Look at __________ and say “yes” to one thing and then find __________to make it __________. __________on your eating patterns __________and change __________to make your __________ _____ _____. Start by __________a log of what you __________for a week and then __________ how you can __________. Maybe it’s fat. Pay attention to __________. Decide to __________on salt or cut back on __________.
In your 60’s and beyond don’t __________of what you still want to do. Make a __________ ____. Don’t hold back.
Your bucket list is__________ ______. You can __________ as high as you __________. As __________ as you want but the __________is not to make it so __________ that you don’t do __________
Aging does __________ the __________of certain health problems like __________ _____and artitris. In this decade – don’t __________ on health scrinning.
Instead of making typical New Year’s resolutions this year. Start making goals that benefit you at each stage of your life. Setting age appropriate goals will help you stick to them and make your 2016 your best year yet.
In your 30’s – take a break from your phone and engage in more face-to-face time.
These humans were born with attachment. and it helps us if think about our own feelings and resolve them and it also helps us to be able to understand other people’s feelings.
1 in 10 adults say they don’t do anything to manage stress. Make a promise to find three healthy stress managing activities. Focus on how your body feels when in stress and then find helping mechanism. For example, go for a walk, do deep breathing, read a book, knit, drum – anything that is repetitive.
In your 40’s vulture improve your communication skills and do a relationship check up. Let me tell you something that you do that makes me happy. You tell me how point is that better and really focus on understanding.
Research shows people who live in cluttered spaces are more apron to depression and anxiety. Start a new year fresh or organise you office space.
Take one drawer – whatever you haven’t used whatever doesn’t bring you joy – throw it away and use that as a metaphor for the rest of the year.
Doctor Taylor says your 50’s are all about fear lesseners. Decide to say “yes” to one thing everyday for a month. Maybe more time at the gym, more time for yourself, more time for sleep. Look at what you want and say “yes” to one thing and then find a way to make it happen. Reflect on your eating patterns this year and change one thing to make your meals more nutricious. Start by keeping a log of what you eat everyday for a week and then look how you can change that. Maybe it’s fat. Pay attention to calories. Decide to cut back on salt or cut back on sugar.
In your 60’s and beyond don’t lose site of what you still want to do. Make a bucket list. Don’t hold back.
Your bucket list is yours alone. You can range as high as you want as daring as you want but the key is not to make it so big that you don’t do anything.
Aging does increase the risc of certain health problems like heart disease and artitris. In this decade – don’t scim on health scrinning.
Emily из Англии о новогодних обещаниях:
1. Emily considers 2015 the best year of her life.
2. She didn’t travel but she is going to visit Paris, Mexico, Egypt, Amsterdam and New York.
3. In 2015 she’s lost her relative for the first time and it made her realise that life is precious.
4. Emily will enjoy her videos more if her hair is better.
5. Emily wants to start horse riding and though it would be difficult for her.
6. Emily will rent a special office for filming her youtube videos.
7. Emily will not bring a pet to her new flat.
8. She will miss her old flat because she had a dog there.
9. Her biggest achiement for the 2015 is struggling with anxiety.
10. She is dreaming about living abroad.
1. True. She has become more confident. She controlled her anxiety. Became more stable person.
2. False. She’s been to Paris twice, to Mexico, Egypt, Amsterdam and New York.
3. False. She is lucky – she has got all her relatives. She lost her dog. And she considered him to be as a friend or a sibling.
5. True. She is anxious about communicating with people whom she doesn’t know and places she has never been before.
6. False. She is moving with a boyfriend to a bigger flat and she will have her own room for filming.
7. Not given. She hopes that the hosters will let her to have a dog, but she is not allowed to take any pets.
8. False. She told that this flat never felt like a home. They never decorated it.
9. True. She is very proud she has overcome anxiety. She doesn’t have sleepless nights before shoots. She is not sick and have panic attacks before them. She just gets a little bit nervous.
10. Not given. She likes travelling. She can imagine living in New York or LA for a month.
Речь Austin Yoder на конференции TED
- What did Austin do in Canada? Why was he there?
- What are New Year’s resolutions about?
- What do people usually promise to do?
- Why do people give up their resolutions?
- Why does Internet come in handy for New Year’s resolutions?
- How did he manage to lose weight?
- What is his main idea?
- He went there to see Aurora borealis.
- They are about becoming happier, building a healthier life and finding more meaning and direction in our own lives.
- Hit the gym or put more money in the bank…
- They are not systematic. There’s no mechanism for accountability built into them: they are extremely easy to forget and they are extremely easy to give up. Nobody is keeping us on track.
- You can tell all your friends about your goals and get support from them. You can tell them, «when it looks like I am getting off track please help me get back on track»
- He created a food blog and every day took pictures of all food that he was going to eat.
- You can spread good ideas and have a positive impact on people in the world if you share your experience and goals in the Internet. You can leverage that progress with your own friends and family members if you share that story.
1. What does she want to do for healthy living?
2. What does she want for emotional well-being?
3. What did she say about giving back?
4. What is her attitude to fashion?
5. What does she want from friendship and relationships in new year?
6. Does she want to have rest from acting? To slow down?
1. She wants to be less Complacent (feeling satisfied, without a wish to change anything) and more challenging . She had a fun 2015 trying different workouts- she’s been experimenting with pilates. Lea wants to try different things.
2. Be less critical and more complimentary. It’s very important to be kind to yourself and to be complimentary.
3. Lea wants to be less pre-occupied, more involved. We can get stuck in our everyday life. Everyone is busy with jobs and family and things like that but it’s important for us to take that time to give back, to get involved and to do smth good.
4. Lea wants to have less stress to dress and to dress for her. She feels a certain pressure to how you should dress a certain way or fit a certain standard. She wants to dress that she feels comfortable. Sometimes it’s leggins.
5. Less clique and more crew. Open yourself to new experiences and new circles of people to more people. the more the merrier.
6. No, she wants to work super hard.
Дорогие читатели блога, студенты и преподаватели! Поздравляем вас с новым годом и желаем вам осуществить свои мечты и планы! Успехов вам в изучении английского и всего самого доброго!